Tips for the student volunteer
Volunteering is great for:
- Meeting new people
- Developing and adding to your resume
- Scholarship applications
- Post-secondary applications
- Building upon your experience and abilities
- Learning new skills
- A chance to give to your community
Steps to volunteering:
Define your interests - what do you like to do?
- Play sports?
- Play with kids?
- Work with computers?
- Hangout with friends?
What are your skills?
- I am creative...
- I can initiate and plan events...
- I work well on a team...
- I am great at problem solving...
- I am a born leader...
What is your availablity? What kind of commitment do you want to make?
40 hours may seem like a long time, but that is less than 2 full days a year over the course of 4 years of secondary school.
You can decide to make a 1 hour a week committment, 2 hours a month, 10 hours here and there, or a lifetime of committment to something you enjoy that goes beyond 40 hours.