French Immersion Registration and Selection Process
The Junior Kindergarten registration process for the 2017-18 school year has changed. Scroll down for important information and documents regarding the new JK FI registration process.
Important changes to the registration and selection process
The changes to the JK registration process are as follows:
- Parents need to indicate on the registration form whether their child is registering for ‘Regular English Track’ or ‘French Immersion’
- Junior Kindergarten is the only access point to French Immersion as of September 2017. For the 2017-18 school year, those are children born in 2013
- JK FI registration at one school is not transferable to another school within the UGDSB
- A JK FI enrolment cap is in place for each of our French Immersion sites. The 2017-18 cap for each school is listed in the table below
Determine which school your child is eligible to attend
|École Arbour Vista Public School
||200 McCann Street, Guelph
|Edward Johnson Public School
||397 Stevenson St. N., Guelph
|Fred A. Hamilton Public School
||160 Ironwood Road, Guelph
|École Guelph Lake Public School
||595 Watson Pkwy N., Guelph
|John McCrae Public School
||189 Water Street, Guelph
|École King George Public School
||2 Lemon Street, Guelph
|Paisley Road Public School
||406 Paisley Road, Guelph
|Victory Public School
||135 Exhibition Street, Guelph
|École Harris Mill Public School
||207 MacLennan Street, Rockwood
|James McQueen Public School
||365 St. George Street West, Fergus
|Princess Elizabeth Public School
||51 Elizabeth Street, Orangeville
|Centennial Hylands Elementary School
||35 School Road, Shelburne
|Brisbane Public School
||RR #2, 9426 Wellington Road 124, Erin
|Palmerston Public School
||530 Prospect St., Box 430, Palmerston
PLEASE NOTE: Most schools for the 2017-18 school year are at their JK FI capacity. Please contact your specific home FI school for more information.
JK students not placed in FI must register at their home Regular Track school. To determine which school your child is eligible to attend, visit www.findmyschool.ca.
Important details about the JK FI registration and selection process
- Registration for French Immersion Junior Kindergarten IS NOT prioritized on a first-come, first-served basis
- JK registration is an in-person process, and does not take place online
Following the Board's 2015-16 French Review, trustees passed a number of motions regarding French as a Second Language. At the May 24, 2016, Board meeting, the following motion was approved: That Staff be directed to develop a selection process for registration in the French Immersion program and report back with details of the process prior to November 2016 in order to create a fair and transparent method for student entry into the French Immersion program.
On Oct. 25, 2016, trustees were presented with the report, JK Registration and Selection Process for the UGDSB French Immersion Program, which presented the details of a new Junior Kindergarten (JK) registration process to be utilized in the 2017-18 school year, and a selection process required to implement the differentially applied school level JK French Immersion (FI) enrolment caps.
2017-18 JK FI registration process details
A deadline of Jan. 26, 2017, was created to determine on-time JK French Immersion registrations. Registration forms completed after the deadline were considered ‘late’ and were only processed after all on-time registrations have been processed.
If the number of on-time JK FI registrants exceeded the school’s enrolment cap, a school-based random selection process was initiated on or before Friday Feb. 10, 2017. The random selection process will take place in the presence of a 3rd party scrutineer to maintain process integrity. A list of schools that require the initiation of a random selection process was posted online.
Parents were informed of their child’s registration status as either registered at the home FI school or on a waitlist on Feb. 28, 2017, by email.
Following analysis of the waitlist data, it was determined that a regional holding site was feasible in Guelph and Dufferin County. Parents and guardians whose child were offered placement at a FI regional holding site for the 2017-18 year had to confirm their placement by the March 21st deadline.
Refusal or lack of response removed their child from the FI home school’s waitlist.
What is a regional holding site?
- A regional holding site is a one-year only JK placement with French language instruction in anticipation of a possible JK FI placement
- It was available, where feasible, to on-time JK FI registrants on a school-based JK FI waitlist
- Holding sites for the 2017-18 are located at Willow Road P.S. for waitlisted students in the City of Guelph and at Parkinson Centennial P.S. for waitlisted students in the County of Dufferin
- If no JK FI placement occurs for a student by the end of the 2017-18 school year, a student will be returned to their English track home school for Senior Kindergarten
- Busing to the regional holding site is provided for students eligible to receive transportation
For general UGDSB registration and admissions information, please visit the board website.
For information on French as a Second Language at UGDSB, visit www.ugdsb.on.ca/fsl. For information on French Immersion, please visit www.ugdsb.on.ca/fi for updates.
To determine which school your child is eligible to attend, visit www.findmyschool.ca.