French Immersion Registration and Selection Process
Deadline to accept placement at regional holding site is March 21, 2017
UPDATE (March 15, 2017): Parents and guardians whose child has been offered placement at a French Immersion (FI) regional holding site for the 2017-18 year are being reminded to confirm their placement by the March 21st deadline.
Acceptance/refusal of regional holding site offer of placement
- Parents guardians must reply to the email received on February 28, 2017 on or before March 21, 2017 indicating their acceptance or refusal of placement offer for their child at the regional holding site.
- Refusal or lack of response removes their child from the FI home school’s waitlist.
What is a regional holding site?
- A one-year only JK placement with French language instruction in anticipation of a possible JK French Immersion (FI) placement
- Available, where feasible, to on-time JK FI registrants who are currently on a school-based JK FI waitlist
- Being established at Willow Road P.S. for waitlisted students in the City of Guelph and at Parkinson Centennial P.S. for waitlisted students in the County of Dufferin
If no JK FI placement occurs for a student by the end of the 2017-18 school year, a student will be returned to their English track home school for Senior Kindergarten.
Busing to the regional holding site is provided for students eligible to receive transportation.
Schools requiring random selection
UPDATE (March 7, 2017): On-time Junior Kindergarten French Immersion Registration at the schools listed below exceeded the school-level registration cap for the 2017-18 school year. A random selection process that included all on-time registrants was conducted at each school. Parents were contacted via email on February 28th with their child’s registration status. Click the links below to view the Prioritized Random Selection List for each school.
The Junior Kindergarten registration process for the upcoming 2017-18 school year has changed. Please note that JK registration is an in-person process, and does not take place online. Scroll down for important information and documents regarding the new JK registration process.
Kindergarten Registration dates
Kindergarten Registration for the 2017-18 school year was held at all elementary schools from January 9 to 26, 2017.
Parents and guardians wishing to register after the Jan. 26 deadline may still do so at their child's elementary school from Monday to Friday during regular school hours (stat and summer holidays excluded). For information on how to register, including important documents to bring to the school, visit www.ugdsb.on.ca/jkregistration. Please note that all French Immersion applications submitted after the Jan. 26 deadline will be considered 'late' - scroll down for more information.
Following the Board's 2015-16 French Review, trustees passed a number of motions regarding French as a Second Language. At the May 24, 2016, Board meeting, the following motion was approved: That Staff be directed to develop a selection process for registration in the French Immersion program and report back with details of the process prior to November 2016 in order to create a fair and transparent method for student entry into the French Immersion program.
On Oct. 25, 2016, trustees were presented with the report, JK Registration and Selection Process for the UGDSB French Immersion Program, which presents the details of a new Junior Kindergarten (JK) registration process to be utilized in the 2017-18 school year, and a selection process required to implement the differentially applied school level JK French Immersion (FI) enrolment caps.
Important changes to the registration and selection process
The changes to the JK registration process are as follows:
- The JK registration window for ALL new JK registrants will begin on January 9, 2017.
- Parents will now need to indicate on the registration form whether their child is registering for ‘Regular English Track’ or ‘French Immersion’.